During back-to-school season, in addition to school supplies and gear, many of us parents have our children’s health and safety forefront in our minds. We take care with what we feed them. We worry about what is leeching out of the water bottles they might drink from. We take steps to ensure their teeth are healthy. We research the medicines we give them. When we send them outside to play, we put sunblock on their skin and cover their heads with a hat. But how many of us think about protecting their eyes?
Protect Your Child’s Eyes
We don’t realize that sunlight can permanently damage our children’s eyes. We tell them not to look into the sun, ever, but even without doing so, the sun can cause irreparable damage to their little eyes.
We buy so many products to ensure our children’s safety. Both for the home and for traveling to and from school. Baby gates, monitors, nanny cams, training wheels, pads and helmets, even cellphones and gps trackers.. but have you ever considered the right pair of sunglasses are just as necessary? UV rays are possibly more damaging to a child’s eyes than to their skin. While skin cells, when damaged, will repair themselves, the eye lenses do not have that ability. Once they are damaged, the damage is permanent. Repeated damage to the eye lens is cumulative and can lead to eye disease and even blindness.
Sunglasses Safety Guidelines
To make sure your child’s eyes are protected, follow these simple guidelines when purchasing sunglasses for your child:
- Purchase sunglasses that are PROVEN to block 100% of BOTH UV-A and UV-B rays. A UV rating of 400 is ideal.
- Check lenses for flaws; such as scratches, bubbles or distortion of the lens. Even the smallest flaw of the lens can result in headaches and put undo stress on the eyes.
- Choose sunglasses that are impact-resistant. Sunglasses with polycarbonate lenses and frame are the most impact-resistant material available. Avoid acrylic lenses, such as those in polarized sunglasses, as they can shatter from impact.
- Peripheral UV light or reflective light, from snow or water, is just as damaging as direct sunlight. Choose frames in a snug, wrap-around design to guard against those peripheral UV rays.
- Have your children wear their sunglasses regularly. Consider them to be just as important as sunblock or a hat (any time of year) or a coat and mittens (in the winter). When you leave the house, put on those sunglasses. They aren’t optional, a completer piece to a cute outfit. They are a necessity.
- ALWAYS be certain the manufacturer you select stands behind their sunglasses with a strong replacement guarantee. Your child’s eye safety should be as important to them as it is to you.
Sunglasses aren’t just an accessory this back-to-school season
During this back-to-school season, be sure to add a new supply to your child’s backpack – sunglasses! Make them readily available to your children during recess, physical education classes, sports, walking to and from the bus stop or school.
We have tried, and subsequently have added sunglasses from Real Kids Shades to our children’s backpacks this year. The kids LOVE them! It makes them feel cool to have “awesome” sunglasses and this mom, for one, can breathe a little easier knowing I have added to their safety.
Real Kids Shades adheres to all the safety guidelines shared above and as a mom, I appreciate that they care about my children’s eye safety as much as I do. In addition to the safety of their sunglasses, they are also stylish and my kids appreciate that! It is win/win for everyone and that just makes me feel good!
Something else to feel good about, Real Kids Shades understands that the financial strain on parents this time of year, with school supplies, clothing and other gear, can be overwhelming. So they are helping families out by offering two special Facebook promotions.
- 20% off Coupon – Now through September 27, 2012, we are offering 20% off all items on our website. Click here to register and receive your coupon code.
- $250 Visa Gift Card – Enter for a chance to win a $250 Visa Gift Card from Real Kids Shades. This gift card is just what you’ll need to cover some of those inevitable back to school expenses. Simply click here to enter.
If you haven’t checked out Real Kids Shades yet, head over to their Facebook page to grab that coupon and enter to win the $250 Visa Gift Card. How much would that help this fall?
I received the above product(s) through Sublime Media Connection in exchange for an honest review. I was in no way asked to provide a positive review of the product(s). Any opinions in this post are my own and are a true reflection of my experience with the product(s).
This post may contain affiliate links. You help to support this site when you click on them. Thank you. Should you have any questions, please read our Disclosure Policy.